PAUL WISEMAN

Paul Vincent Wiseman is talented. He's quirky and brilliant too, another reason he remains one of my favorite local interior designers. His harmonious creations are infectious.

Buzz' interview with Paul for Decorati this week was a total hit. I walked away with new insight on the importance of timeless design and what it means to have this admirable "exceptional talent". Below are a couple Q&A highlights and snippets from his portfolio that made my little heart melt.
Buzz: How did a nice guy like you get into a kooky business like this?
[Laughing] Ignorance and youth.
(Buzz side note: Hey, that’s exactly how I got into it, only without the youth part!)
I was 27 years old when I started and my contract read something like, “Hi my name is Paul and I want to make your house pretty….Now sign.” Ugh.
Buzz: How did you get started in interior design and did you have any mentors in those early days?
I worked for Robert Hering, who’s retired now. He had an antique shop and decorating studio that I managed. I really loved it. But after a while I knew it was time to start my own business. And when I started my firm I also worked part-time for Winfield Windsor, the antique dealer. He was my biggest mentor because he was so generous with his knowledge and information. He’d show me why he was attracted to a particular piece, what made it valuable, and a thousand other “secrets” of the trade.
What is the one best piece of advice you ever got that has contributed to your career?
I think mine would be: “Communication is critical to success.” Decorating is just one part of our clients’ busy lives. So you need to be really diligent about staying in touch with and communicating with your client. If the communication link is broken, then things tend to spin out of control and the results can miss the mark.
A couple years ago I attended a private tour of his timeless Nob Hill penthouse; which has been featured in countless design publications over the lifetime of his professional career.
Buzz: What are your 2011 design trend predictions?
I don’t do trends.
Not interested.

Buzz: What makes a particular design timeless?
I think designs that are appropriate to a location, budget, and life style never go out of fashion. Many designers just can’t connect the dots between architecture, landscape and lifestyle. When something feels imposed, it’s just fashion and will not stand the test of time. When I go back on my projects of the past 31 years, there’s really very little I would change.